Thursday, June 2, 2011

For beginners: THE French Toast

So during the 2 years of working as a waitress at Applebee's and TGI Friday's; I never made french toast, it was always there, warm and fresh, not needing to be made by my delicate hands.

Until I wanted to be fancy one breakfast morning and show off to my other half that I can make more than just sunny-side up eggs. -See, having a boyfriend improves your cooking! *bonus!*-

So here goes; make sure you read all of this first before you attempt!


French Toast -serves one person-

Tools:
-A non-stick  pan
-A fork -for whisking
-A somewhat wide bowl or a deep soup plate -for dipping the bread
-A spatula

Ingredients:
-2 slices of bread -whole wheat, white; whatever is your preference-
-1 Egg
-1 tbsp Sugar
-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
-1/4 cup Milk
-1 tsp oil - for frying

Whisk the egg, sugar, cinnamon and milk together in the bowl/plate til you can't see the clear streams of egg whites. And at the same time, turn on the pan to medium heat. When it feels warm, (just hover your hand over it) add the oil and tilt the pan back and forth til it is spread evenly. Dip the bread into the egg mixture- coating both sides- and place into the pan. After a minute check underneath the bread using the spatula and check to see how cooked it is. I don't really have an exact time for how long this takes, as it entirely depends on how hot your stove may be. If it's about the same colour as pictured above, then flip, cook, and serve with syrup or nutella or even your fave ice cream. Al loves to have it with all of the above.

Side Notes:
-Sometimes, if I have it, I like to add a bit of condensed milk to the egg mix to make it sweeter.

-I'm not 100% sure of the exact measurements for the mixture,  but I know that one egg typically is good for two slices. Just not sure of the other ingredients; you may end up with more or less when you're done.

So this is a SUPER simple recipe, I hope you guys enjoy, I will probably update once a week. More if I have a lot of free time.... gosh that photo up top, looks really boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment